Saturday, April 12, 2008

Reach Out and Torch Someone

I guess the torch for the 2008 Olympics was in the U.S. this week. I was eating garlic chicken and reading the paper at Fortune Cookie, a lovely Chinese restaurant on Briarcliff, when I remembered the torch relay was in San Francisco that very day. And there I was giving my tacit support to the oppressors in Beijing as I gorged myself on fried rice and slurped their egg-drop soup. What an unsympathetic, socially unconscious jerk! So, when it came time to pay, I wrote, “Free Tibet” on the top of my credit slip and ran out. Yep, I’m a revolutionary!

Speaking of Olympic torches, someone asked me today if I’d seen the movie “Sherman’s March.” I haven’t seen the movie, but I’ve heard of Sherman’s March. Who here hasn’t? That’s why I was so leery about the Olympics coming to Atlanta a few years ago. We all remember what happened the last time a foreigner came here with fire.

No comments: