Tuesday, October 25, 2005

"Tell me about a day in your world. ..."

Let’s see ... A day in the life, huh? I’ll give it a shot. And if it turns out full of drama and intrigue, I’ll post it on my blog.

A Day in the Life, Part One
I came to work unkempt. As I had not done laundry, I threw on a sweater I had worn one day last week. I eschewed my shower for time’s sake, so my hair looks like Shemp Howard’s of Three Stooges fame. In short, I’m a bum.

I got to the office and I was starved! I re-heated some leftover spaghetti from yesterday’s lunch and put on a pot of coffee. I am now eating an apple and drinking coffee. It’s not quite 9:30.

I have to order office supplies today. That’s all that’s on my plate. That’s all for now. I’ll keep you apprised if anything happens of note.

A Day in the Life Part Two
This is the part where I try to stay awake until lunch. I had to pee about 20 minutes ago, and that was the most excitement I’ve had so far today.

Sometimes I put my head in my hands and just sit until something happens, but I didn’t sleep well last night and I’m afraid I’ll doze off. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not above dozing off at the office, but I only do that when no one else is here to see.

So, to keep myself occupied, I check MySpace for new messages, new hits on my profile and blog, etc., then pop over to AOL to see if I have any messages, then back to MySpace again. Lately I have also been watching the Webcam at a doggie daycare to relieve the boredom.

I don’t know about your job, but in my job we have a phenomenon known as “billable hours.” This is the time spent on projects that we can charge the client for so my company doesn’t have to bear the brunt of my salary. So far this year, I have had maybe four or five days that were billable. No wonder they’re going to shut us down.

It’s a quarter to one. We usually go down to our little café at one o’clock or so and grab lunch. Tuesday is lasagna day, but I think I’ll get a salad instead since I had the leftover spaghetti this morning.


A Day in the Life Part Three
Now is the time I am typically overwhelmed by despair realizing I have over three hours to go before I can go home. Could be my blood sugar crashing after the salad, two chocolate chip cookies and coffee, but whatever the cause, time moves very slowly for me this time of day.

I’m alone in the office now, and I’m sorely tempted to put my head in my hands until something happens, but I’m sure I’d doze off and my co-worker would come in and catch me.

I’m sleepy and the weather doesn’t help. We’re getting the back end of the hurricane and it’s cold and dreary out. And, as early as it gets dark now, I’m sure I’ll have to fight to stay awake to a decent hour tonight.


A Day in the Life Part Four
Three o’clock. That’s when I pee again and brush my teeth. I’m through drinking coffee for the rest of the night.

Time begins to move faster at 3:00 as I realize there are only a little over two hours remaining in the “work” day.

I’ve been on Monster.com planning ahead for my impending layoff. If all goes well, I’ll have everything worked out ahead of time so I can bail here before the next shoe drops. If I could transition into a new job with no downtime, I would sacrifice a severance package just so I wouldn’t have to pack up another office. (No, this is not the first time I’ve had my office close.)

Just two hours now. I think I’ll make it.

* * * * * *

Your life is truly an interesting story.

I think you missed the point.

What was the point?

If I’d had a point, I wouldn’t have written the freakin’ blog. “To drivel hopefully is better than do a rave.”

No comments: